Thursday, July 14, 2016

Do What You Say

Sometimes after I do my morning devotion or ‘quiet time’ (which with a cat I assure you is not as quiet as you would think) I sit in awe when God has a message that strikes my heart, that makes me think in on myself. It happens quite often, and I hope I’m not the only one who knows what that feeling is. It causes me to reflect, but also gives me that giddy feeling knowing God is working on me and molding me.

This morning I was in the book of Numbers (Numbers 30, #first5), Numbers 30 focuses on oaths and vows and the different roles they play. How important it is to keep our word, when we say we are going to do something to do it! To keep our ‘yes’ as a yes and our ‘no’ as a no (Matthew 5:37). It’s so easy (and I am QUEEN of this) to say yes in the moment and when the time comes to change your mind and say no. It may seem simple, but it’s really a dig at our integrity. Your words should be enough, you should be accountable to your word.  There should be no need to tack on ‘I promise’ there should be no need for adding ‘I swear to so and so’ it should just be.

I personally struggle with this A LOT. As I said, I am queen of saying I am going to do something and then that something arrives and I come up with some ridiculous reason why I can’t or shouldn’t do it. The problem with that is then it becomes a pattern, it becomes easy to not keep my promises and then people stop asking. Eventually when you no longer keep your ‘yes’ you start to lose people’s trust, but more than that you start to lose God’s trust. If you tell Him you’re going to do something and you don’t, how’s He to trust you with “big” stuff?


No comments:

Post a Comment